Skip to main content

Family Services Directory - 0-19

Click here for a new search

SEN Advice & Support

Baby covered in paint in long grass.

Finding out your child has special educational needs, a disability or a medical condition can be difficult and bewildering. Parents of SEND children and young people need support, information and advice.

As a parent of a SEND child or young person you may not know where to turn to or you may be trying to cope with a whole range of feelings, as well as being constantly exhausted from the physical demands of parenting. There is support out there.

Specialist support for disabled children

Looking after a child or young person with disabilities can cause significant stress at times. Some families may need higher levels of support to maintain an ordinary family life.

Sometimes this will be for a few weeks or months to overcome a difficult time but sometimes it will be for a longer period of time.

The Children’s Specialist Support Team will usually only be involved where a child or young person has significant disability or impairment and there is also an additional need, for example:

  • parent, family support or sibling support
  • promoting independence and social development
  • child protection
  • prevention of coming into care or being placed away from home

Who is eligible?

If you are caring for a child with additional needs and you feel you require further support please telephone the Duty and Assessment Team based within Children’s Social Care (01344 352020). They will determine if an assessment is required and whether a child or young person is eligible for support based on the needs of the child, parenting capacity and social and environmental factors.

Bracknell Forest IASS can provide support and further information about EHCP, support in schools and Mediation and Appeals

Choose a category

View all records in this category
Back to top