The Blue Badge scheme provides a range of parking benefits for disabled people throughout the UK with severe mobility difficulties who travel either as drivers or as passengers.
Blue Badge Scheme
Who to contact
- Contact Position
- Blue Badge Administrator
- 01344 351464
Where to go
- RG12 1JD
Who is eligible for a Blue Badge?
Type one: the ‘eligible without further assessment’ criterion
People who may be issued with a badge without further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following descriptions:
- receives the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance / PIPS
- is registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- receives a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- has been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
(proof of all the above will be required on application)
Type two: ‘eligible subject to further assessment’ criterion
People who would be considered eligible subject to further assessment are those who are more than two years old and fall within one or more of the following descriptions:
- drives a vehicle regularly, has a severe disability in both arms, and is unable to operate, or has considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
- is unable to walk or has very considerable difficulty in walking because of a permanent and substantial disability
In addition, children under the age of two may be eligible for a badge if they fall within either or both of the following descriptions:
- a child who, on account of a condition, must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty
- a child who, on account of a condition, must always be kept near a motor vehicle so that they can, if necessary, be treated for that condition in the vehicle or taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where they can be so treated
If you are under the type one criteria this will take 20 working days from receipt of payment and all relevant paperwork.
If you are under the type two criteria this can take up to 40 working days.