Paid for by Bracknell Forest Council, the Befriending Scheme is a service aiming to introduce trained volunteers to adults who may be vulnerable, isolated or lonely. These vulnerable adults include:
- Those with health or mobility problems
- People living alone having lost loved ones or with families living some distance away
- People who find it very hard to get out and about or have other circumstances which make opportunities for developing friendship difficult
The main purpose of the scheme is for the volunteer befriender to meet regularly for a planned period of time with adults they are matched with to do activities which are helpful to that person. These activities may include:
- Meeting for a talk
- Going out
- Visits to shops, garden centres, cafes etc.
- Going to other activities in the community.
The scheme also runs regular group activities including a twice monthly coffee mornings and weekly board games with local primary children, with additional events during the year.