Skip to main content

Bracknell Forest Local Directory

Education, Health & Care Plans (EHCPs)

Statements of Special Educational Needs will be phased out by the Education, Health & Care Plan from the 1st of September 2014

This is because of new legislation brought in by the government called “The Children & Families Act 2014”. This new law has made some fundamental changes to the way children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and their families are supported from birth to 25.

This legislation has been designed to enable families and young people to have more say in how care and support is delivered and more control over how the money allocated by the Local Authority is spent in providing the care that their child needs.

This Act of Parliament is welcomed; and is a significant transformation to the legal framework that The Health Service, Social Care and Schools use to regulate their activities.

It is our aim to work in partnership with you

EHCP’s will be replacing the SEN Statement of need and the Section 139A Assessments – Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDA’s) from September 2014. The EHCP must:

  • Assess the educational needs of a child or young person (up to 25)
  • Focus on what the child’s aspirations are and the things they want to achieve in school and their community
  • Identify how the Educational, Health and Care services will work as a team to meet or exceed the outcomes stated in the plan
  • Outline all of the SEND needs a child or young person may have and the care provision put in place to support them with this.
  • Who will provide what support. how will it be provided and how often it will be provided.
  • Be completed in 20 weeks – unless there is a specific reason or both the parents and LA agree they need more time.

Requesting an EHCP

From September 2014, anyone over the age of 16 who is involved with a child’s welfare can request for an assessment to be carried out to determine is a child needs additional support. See Bracknell Forest's "Requesting an Education,
Health and Care Assessment Guidance booklet - September 2014" and EHCP application form on the right hand side of this page.

If you, or your child, are assessed and do not meet the threshold for assistance with significant Educational Needs, you will not get an EHCP. However, any identified health or care needs will be supported and delivered by Health or Social Care as they always have. If your child does not meet the EHCP criteria, you can ask a Social Care Professional to undertake a Common Assessment Framework (CAF) assessment.

What if my child currently has a Statement?

Your child’s Statement will remain a legally enforceable document. You will not lose any rights or support that is stated on it.

Working with parents and young people, we will, over the next three years, convert all Statements over to EHCP’s. You, as parents, carers or individuals will be notified of this and included in the process.

What if I (or my child) are currently attending Further Education?

If you, or your child are currently attending an FE college with funding through a Learning Difficulty Assessment (139A) then these will still be valid and will convert into an EHCP as well – assuming they plan to continue their FE studies.

Who to contact

01344 354048
Please note that the Bracknell Forest Services Directory includes some information and links to third party internet websites which are controlled and maintained by others. Bracknell Forest Council is not responsible for the accuracy of the information in the services guide and cannot be responsible for the linked external sites. Bracknell Forest Council does not represent or warrant that its web site or any other web site accessible via the Bracknell Forest Services Directory is virus free.
Back to top

A to Z of Services