Skip to main content

Bracknell Forest Local Directory

Support with EHCP Disagreements, Advice, Mediation, Appeals & Tribunal


If you are not happy about any decision made about your child’s EHC plan or assessment for a plan, you can talk to us about why you are unhappy. Details on who to talk to will be included in any information sent to you.

Impartial Support

The Information, Advice & Support Service (IASS) provide confidential and impartial advice and information to support parents/carers and children and young people who have, or may have Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) in Bracknell Forest. They can support with;

  • confidential helpline (telephone and email)
  • general information on special educational needs
  • help for parents and carers to express their views support through the statutory assessment process
  • help to complete forms
  • help to understand complex documents and reports
  • support at meetings
  • presentations to support groups
  • signposting to other relevant voluntary groups

IASS can be contacted on 01344 354011 / or visit the  Home - Bracknell Forest IASS


Global Mediation provide a completely independant and neutral service. A Mediation Adviser can be contacted on 0800 064 4488. This service is free of charge and your conversation is confidential. You can visit their website by clicking here

Tribunal & Appeals

In order to register an appeal you must demonstrate that you have considered mediation as an option to resolve your dispute and obtain a certificate to confirm you have done so. The Mediation Adviser will provide you with factual information about the mediation process as well as the certificate to begin the tribunal process. You do not have to have mediation advice if your Appeal is only about Placement, the health and social care elements of an EHC Plan or if it is a disability discrimination claim.

If it has not been possible to reach an agreement with the Local Authority over the assessment process or the provision of or content of an EHC Plan, you have the right to appeal to Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal SEND.  SEND is an independent first-tier tribunal who hear and decide parents or young peoples’ Appeals against the decisions of the Local Authority in relation to special educational needs. The Tribunal is part of the HM Courts and Tribunals Service and has no connection with the LA.

Useful resources can be found on the IASS resources webpage.

Making Decisions

Back to top